Monday, February 20, 2017

The Property Search Continues . . . .

  Searching for the right piece of property to move my farm to, once again, has turned out to be much more difficult than I had even imagined. I knew it would not be easy in the least, especially since I have ultra meager funds to acquire a piece of land with, but I never thought it would be as difficult as it has been. Oh, my, have land prices gone up!!!

Still, I did end up finding a great piece of property (5 beautiful acres of mostly flat land with a few trees and a small creek) and I have been so excited! I have been visually laying out where I wanted to put things and how I wanted to set my animals back up. I made it all the way to the point of taking out the loan and setting a tentative closing date, but then . . ..

.  . . .  some clinkers got thrown into the fan! Most of them were not so big that they couldn't be dealt with or worked around, but then the biggest clinker of them all . . . . an old, abandoned gas well was found on the property. It has to be properly secured before the sale can go forward.

I did some searching as to what all securing that old, abandoned gas well would entail. I could get lucky and it could be done very quickly and simply, but the standard shows that it could take months, even years, before it is sealed off, there are hundreds of them awaiting the same task. Then there is the possible issue of the abandoned well contaminating the ground water (might not ever be able to drill a water well), the creek, the plants, and so on. This is something to definitely do some serious pondering and research on before I close on this property.  This stinks!

I haven't given up on this beautiful property, yet, but my bid is sitting on hold at the moment, and I am going to continue to search and look at some other properties while we all wait to hear back and see how long it will take to get the abandoned well sealed off. I have found one more interesting sounding property to go look at this week. With some prayers and good thoughts, wish me luck.

Thanks for stopping in and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment